Tuesday 25 September 2018

                           Outremer II by D. N. Carter #blogtour


Today I have author D.N.Carter visiting my blog and sharing a guest post with us. 

What are your favourite things about being an author?

There are several things I could say that are my favourite things about being an author that range from being able to lose myself in my work to hopefully inspiring people. I have been told that I am the type of person who naturally brings out the best in others. I hope that is the case. I would certainly hate to bring out the worst in people! But I suppose the most favourite aspect about being an author has to be that I get to spend hours researching and indulging my passion for all things ancient and mysterious. I love to read and most of my research is done that way and being a writer affords me the time to spend hours, days and even weeks if necessary, scrolling my way through books and documents. I spent days in libraries before the advent of the internet and the instant availability of books on line, and even rare manuscripts, thus reducing my research time whilst multiplying my knowledge base incrementally and exponentially upwards.

One favourite aspect about being a full time author is when I get my hands on items I am researching whether it is a very ancient document that must be handled with absolute care, white gloves on and all, when I get a real sense of its age, to wearing a heavy full face medieval helmet. Visiting living history events can prove great fun as well as help with my research such as wearing the full uniform of a Knight Templar, complete with shield and lance. Then wearing the lightweight leather outfits worn by the Ashashin’s/Assassins.
The biggest thrill though is being able to travel to do my research in person, on the ground, or as in several circumstances, underground. I get to use all the outdoor training I have gained over the years to abseil down those inaccessible places I would not have been able to reach, or where the public usually fear to go. From old wells and dungeons in ruined castles, to cliff faces in Saudi Arabia and even the deserts of Arizona simply to see in person ancient petroglyphs rendered by Hopi Indians hundreds of years go.

Recalling the many journeys and expeditions I have undertaken across the world helps me greatly as an author for when I write I have the ability to travel anywhere and be anyone I want to be. But the greatest joy is when my writing touches someone. When it makes them stop and think...when it has a positive impact and in some cases, as I am discovering, given the reader some answers and comfort...and hope. Giving hope to someone is a precious gift and one I am humbled to have been able to give on occasion.

As an author I get to spend far more time with my family and have the flexibility to choose the hours I work. Self discipline is perhaps the only difficult aspect about being an author. When the Sun is shining outside and I am stuck indoors, the temptation to put down my work is huge...but I love writing so much it is not too difficult to lose myself in my work once I start typing away or drawing another image for my books. I love being able to put into words emotions, descriptions of places I have been and information I find fascinating to share it with others. I write as if I am talking to someone sat opposite me. I have never been stuck for words...so far, nor suffered writers block. Perhaps I write too much, but I view that as not a bad thing. I always go back over what I have written to check for missing words, spellings and whether I have conveyed accurately, or believably enough, what I am trying to say. But even then I still manage to miss a word out or spell it wrong.

I have based Outremer very heavily upon real people and genuine historical records of the events during the 12th century, but by writing it as fiction based on fact, I was able to let my imagination run free...whilst hopefully still keeping it real. As fiction I was also able to indulge my own understanding of the period, but also incorporate so-called otherworldly facts that would have otherwise seemed utterly ridiculous, perhaps unbelievable and out of place in such a book. That is the sheer delight of being an author...that I can marry the two together. But also being able to make people cry and laugh through my words; that is a gift I do not take lightly but value greatly and never take for granted.

Information about the book
Title: Outremer II: Revelation Cometh
Author: D. N. Carter
Release Date: 4th September 2018
Genre: Historical
Publisher: Clink Street Publishing

goodreads

amazon

Summary: 
Christian-born Paul Plantavalu and his beloved Alisha al Komaty, a Muslim, share an unbreakable bond and a deep love for one another. Religion, war and politics oppose them at every turn. But most deadly of all is the resolve of an evil enemy determined to destroy their family lines forever.
Paul and Alisha’s journey takes a political turn; they must question everything and learn who to fear and who to trust as they continue their battle to safeguard the future of mankind. In accepting the burden of this grace responsibility, they must make peace with the difficult path they have chosen. Paul will struggle to unlearn everything he has been raised to accept as true; reality is much more mysterious and nuanced. It will fall to him to defend a much greater treasure than his own life - one which the Magi themselves understood - for the benefit of future generations. In doing so, Paul will help others to unshackle themselves from the grip of a self-styled secret elite with the power to manipulate religions, governments and monarchies, harnessing wealth and control for themselves at the expense of the populous. But to succeed in this challenge Paul must face his own desires and his worst fears, and if destiny dictates, he may be called to sacrifice his own family, including Alisha.
The second novel in author and adventurer D. N. Carter’s epic four-part series, Outremer II: Revelation Cometh draws upon forty years of intensive historical research by its Indiana Jones-style creator. As the reader is swept up by the romantic adventure of Paul and Alisha and their dazzling romp through the High Middle Ages in search of Templar truths and treasure, they are also challenged by the author to solve a coded puzzle hidden within the pages of the four Outremer novels, which will lead to a real-life bounty at the conclusion of the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Unusual Boy