Sunday 31 December 2017

Words on pages... a few of my favourite books 
published this year (2017)
part two - adult fiction 

So, here is part two ( part one found here ) of the books that "Swallowed me up, heart and soul" 

                              31348237 

The Summer of Impossible Things by Rowan Coleman 

Luna and her sister Pia have lost their mother. Along with their grief they have to grapple with a heartbreaking secret she revealed after her death. When they visit Brooklyn, their mother's birthplace, to settle her affairs, they realise that the past may hold more questions than answers. Suddenly, Luna finds herself pulled into the past, literally. She travels through time and finds herself back in the summer of 1977, at the time the tragedy that destroyed her mother is about to happen. Can Luna change the past and if she does, what will it cost her? 

What would be your moment? The one moment in your past, in your history that you would want to go back and change? What price would you be willing to pay, what would you be willing to lose? 

I love Luna. I love everything about her. I love her mind, her determination, her incredible spirit. She stole my heart. 

This is a beautiful, clever, special book. If you haven't had the pleasure of reading it yet, then please, please do! 


                                                          33590076

How To Stop Time by Matt Haig

Matt Haig is one of my favourite authors. I read The Humans, which is utterly brilliant, a couple of years ago and that my friends, was the beginning of a love affair with each ad every one of his incredible, beautiful books. 

I am old. That is the first thing to tell you. The thing you are least likely to believe. If you saw me you would probably think I was about forty, but you would be very wrong.

How to Stop Time is Tom Hazard's story. It's the story of a man who has lived for centuries. He may look like a 41 year old, but he is much, much older and has had to change identities throughout the years to keep himself safe. Now he is living in London, he's a history teacher and he is trying to live by his one rule, he mustn't fall in love. He's done that before and his heart has never recovered. 

This is one of those books that stays with you forever. It takes up residence inside your heart and before you know it, it's part of you. No words I write will ever do How to Stop Time justice, it is a masterpiece. Please don't take my word for it, grab a copy and find out for yourself. 


                                                          35508633

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman 

When I heard about this book I knew I NEEDED to read it. It is utterly brilliant and I have bought copies for so many people, every household needs a copy. 

Eleanor is completely fine. She goes to work. She has her own apartment. Her life is exactly the way she wants it to be... or is it? When she meets Raymond and together they save Sammy, an elderly gentleman who has had a fall, her entire life is turned upside down. As the story progresses we start to see glimpses into her life that she wouldn't want us to see, and we realise that completely fine is the lie we tell others, and ourselves when things are falling apart. 

This book will make you think, it will conjure every emotion and make you feel it. It's fascinating and heartbreaking. Eleanor is such a relatable character, she is quirky, she is different and she is hurting more than she will even admit to herself. As the story progresses so we see the full extent of her psychosis and our heart breaks for her. I don't have the words to describe just how ingenious and powerful this truly is. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

An Unusual Boy