Saturday 20 February 2016

The Sport of Kings by C.E.Morgan

      The Sport of Kings by C.E.Morgan




The Forges are one of the oldest and proudest families in Kentucky, John Henry's son decides to step away from family tradition and turn the family's crop farm into a horse breeding farm. Henry and his daughter Henrietta strive to breed the perfect horse, but Henrietta has to ask herself if this is the life she desires, or if there is something else she wants for herself. 

Enter Allmon Shaughnessy, and an African-American man fresh from prison, he has a magic touch with horses, but is damaged by his past. Together the three of them will strive to create a new future, one where their horse Hellsmouth, is a champion but while they are fighting to design perfection, their histories are snapping at their heels trying to bring them down. 

                                      *************************************

When I received an advance reader copy of this book I was unsure. Horse breeding and horse racing? Not my usual interests. HOWEVER, I couldn't have been more wrong! This is one of  most beautifully written books I have ever read.  Rich with description and content, The Sport of Kings is a Majestic Masterpiece. 

From the opening paragraph that see's Henry Morgan running away from his father through the corn fields, to the inevitable cataclysmic end, I was captivated. 

This is a novel that presents to us the circle of life, the struggles humans face in this world we have created and a story of those strong enough to attempt to step off the inexorable path the circumstances of their birth put them upon and strike out towards a future of their own choosing. 

Journeying through this book I could feel the dust from the barns on my skin, I could smell the hay, see  Hellmouth's sublime perfection, hear the hooves of the horses racing, and taste the rich warm whiskey on my tongue. Every moment invaded my senses, drawing me mind, body and soul into the adventure. 

I admit there are parts that are difficult to read, the racism, aggression, sheer nastiness and disregard for human life teared at my heart. But every moment of this journey with Henry, Henrietta and Allmon is worth the heartache. Nothing I write could ever do this book justice, so please read it and discover for yourself the intensity and beauty that is The Sport of Kings.


isbn: 9780007313266
publisher: 4th Estate Books 
publication date: 5 May 2016





No comments:

Post a Comment

An Unusual Boy